Tuesday, January 11, 2011

MoMA

Museum of Modern Art, shortly MoMA. We’ve been there yesterday and it was awesome. Being surrounded by abstraction and modernism is really new for me.

Everything what we’ve seen was modern, I think. I don’t know another word to call it. And it was more modern than Whitney museum.


For example a cup and a spoon covered with fur – what is it? It is not just a simple cup, you can’t drink from it. It is a piece of art; I would say an abstract piece of art. Why did artist made it, who knows… He made it because he felt like doing it, for his own purposes and reasons. He inserted some meaning into it, but what was that? Some of us will understand one way, some of us in another. Abstraction experts will interpret in absolutely different way, but I think no one will completely understand true meaning of it, which was putted by author.


Or another one, which really agitated my mind was sculpture of a head with zipped eyes, they were closed. What author wanted to say by this? In my opinion he tried to say that there is no matter how free and powerful you are there will exist things that you’ll never know about and learn about. But this is my opinion. Another one will represent it differently.

This is the main topic of abstraction, modern abstraction – to make things remind you about something and you will insert the meaning yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment