Friday, January 7, 2011

Dialogue after a hard day

- What was interesting yesterday? - asked me my mind 
- Fieldtrip to Whitney Museum of American Art - answerd I to myself.
- Really? Tell me something about it, please - asked it again.


- Well, I met Russian guard there and we talked a little bit... 
- Are you kidding me? Really? How was it? - it was keeping asking.
- Wait, I am not going to talk about this - answerd I and swithced the topic...

I saw an interesting piece of art there (actually they were all interesting and all pieces of art). I will talk about the film, "Shadow" by Slater Bradley and Ed Lachman, which is presented there.

Film's construction is very interesting. It begins with sounds of steps and man with his dog walking towards us in a desert. Without any voice… in the beginning. And you don’t expect the voice to come into the film for the whole scene, but it does.  

We hear the voice of that guy after he accidentally finds little girl in the middle of the desert (not actually in a desert, there were an abandoned house and van – she was in a van). She scared him and he said couple of words to her. Wait, girl, what is she doing in the desert, alone ? I have no idea, but this is impressive as voice. Guy left her there. And you think voice is over and nothing strange will happen. Ha-ha! Very strange thing happens later in the film – this guy finds a guitar from nowhere and plays a song and sings – then continues to walk.
Then, what you really don’t expect, girl comes into the scene again by following that guy – and guy's voice again.
Film ends as it began – with sounds of walking away man, but into the dark and with light on his hand (without dog – where is the dog???)

- What an interesting piece, but is this a modern moove, museum is aout modern art? - asked it again after a bit of sielence.
- Yes, I think so – it is something that blows your mind but in normal way (not as surrealism or abstractionism), and you can feel that something is missing there, something that you want to add or fix after what it will become realistic - but this is not a goal of the video - it's modern! - said I and realized that I have been talking to my mind. It's ok, happens to everybody =)

No comments:

Post a Comment